Monday, February 7, 2011

I Hate Feet!

For a year now, I have had a sore on the outside of my right heel that would JUST-NOT-GO-AWAY! I didn't let this stop me though, I ran a half marathon last summer with it and did whatever I wanted. Still the sore wouldn't heal and with my mother's urging (she was sure I had cancer), I went to see a podiatrist.

It turns out that I had a bone spur that was causing all of the problems. I though this was something that happened to "old" people. I am 35 and obviously still think I'm immune to all of these weird things that can happen due to wear and tear. All of those years of running have finally caught up with me. The doc told me that my options were to either have surgery or live with the sore...my choice. After thinking about it, I decided to do surgery since I don't like having random sores anywhere on my body, YUCK!

Can I tell you that the idea of surgery really freaked me out? I know, I know, ridiculous, especially considering I've had 3 children. Having kids didn't freak me out. Being a former Labor and Delivery nurse, I knew as well as you possibly could what to expect. With surgery, I had general ideas of what would happen, but my exposure was a bit more limited. Also, I didn't want to be out of commission for very long since things seem to fall down around my ears when I'm out for even a day...uugh!

Well, surgery happened on Friday and I survived. It really wasn't as bad as I thought. I rested up this weekend and today am back up and around a bit. Not 100 percent yet, but soon. Also, I should be back to running when spring rolls around, which was why I did this now cause who wants to run in 20 degree weather anyway?

This is what I look like now:


I can't seem to get the Betadine completely off of my toes.:( The dressings have to stay on until I see the doc in a few more days. I also have one of those cute little shoes (U.G.L.Y!) that I get to wear if I go out and about. Isn't this great! Kidding, kidding. Well that's what's happening in my life right now, just a bowl full of cherries!

5 comments:

  1. Glad to see you had it fixed, you will enjoy running so much more! thanks for visiting and your nice comments!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh you poor thing! It is so true. The world does fall apart a bit when Mommy is out of commission. I'm the same age as you and let me tell ya - Acid reflux is kicking my butt! I thought I was still too young for all that. And I have wicked back aches now. When did that happen? The joys of getting older - gotta love it!
    Brandie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hope your foot heels soon. Saw your comment on my blog today about my entryway. I found the rug you like, but you might want to google it for a cheaper price:
    http://www.interiormall.com/cat/nsample.asp?ID=134112&t=2163

    Brittany
    P.s. I couldn't email you back because you didn't have email set up in your blogger/google profile, so I hope you don't mind I'm answering you in your comments.

    http://www.prettyhandygirl.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my goodness, foot surgery is such a nuisance. I do hope it heals quickly for you. I have had a spur and it really is painful. I find that when it flares up I wear a pair of crocs as much as possible. I know it sounds weird but their position your foot to take the pressure off the spur and provide lots of cushioning. My method has helped a few who have tried it. Of course if it is that bad, then a pair of crocs won;t help.

    Feel better soon.

    Chania

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...