Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Cheapest Light Ever!

For a long time now I've been plotting how to get rid of this light.

Is it me or does this remind you of the lights over the tables at Pizza Hut or Godfather's Pizza? I know it is supposed to be a Tiffany style lamp from Home Depot but I.just.can't.get.pizza out of my head when I look at it. The other problem I've had is that my hubs doesn't mind this lamp, probably for the same reasons I hate it! Just so you know, I didn't pick this lamp out, it came with the house. This is the only picture of it hanging that I could find, which happened to be during our remodel. When we moved in, this light was in the living room. Why you ask? Me too. It got moved within a week after our first day in the house.


About a month ago I was walking through the DI (goodwill in Utah) and happened upon this beauty. I snatched this sucker up for all of 5 dollars! I have drooled over drum shades f.o.r.e.v.e.r in magazines but could never afford the big price tags. I figured this might just work.

I sanded down the metal pieces after my husband took everything apart for me and then primed and painted them with ORB. Gotta love that stuff! Then I decided to recover the shade portion. I ripped off the old material because I worried that the light wouldn't penetrate and be bright enough if I went over it with the new material. Then with the help of mom, I hot glued (yep, that's my guilty secret) the material onto the frame and used some dark brown grosgrain ribbon (hot glued on again) to hide my imperfections. Plus, I think the ribbon adds some linear detail. Do you recognize this fabric? I used it on my light box headboard. Here it is all lit up:

Do you see how this light even came with a bottom plastic piece so you don't look up from the table at light bulbs? Still can't believe the price? Me either. I had to get a picture without the light on. (Please ignore how off center the light is, I really need a narrower table, in the future, when money grows on trees!)

And finally, I got a shot of how I folded my material and ribbon over and didn't have to sew a thing. This is great, since I don't sew. Someday soon I'll learn.


I think this goes with the overall feel of my kitchen and eating area so much better than the Pizza Hut light. Even my husband admits it's not so bad. Plus, we will list the old light on Craigslist and sell it to someone whose home this will fit in.

The price breakdown:

Original light - $5
Material - Free (already had it)
Ribbon - $2
Hot glue - Free (already had it)

Pretty good for $7 don't ya think?

I'm linking this up with:

Photobucket


Pink Hippo Party
Boogieboard Cottage
handmade projects
Today's Creative Blog
Show and Tell Green  http://www.thethriftyhome.com HookingupwithHoH
Tidy Mom I'm Lovin It Fridays



Join  us Saturdays at tatertotsandjello.com for the weekend wrap   up           party!
UndertheTableandDreaming

Debbie didn't blab about me but this was the only button I could find on her blog...forgive me.



47 comments:

  1. Wow, that's such a great transformation :) Very cute idea! We had a light similar to your original...it was the first thing to go in our remodel :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it! Thank you linking up to Masterpiece Monday! Have a great week, Mary :O)

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh that is perfect!!! I love it and the price
    Great job
    Tana

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a super find and buy. I love the new look. That did look like a Pizza Hut light before. Thanks so much for sharing this at my party.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love drum shades too, you did a great job. I'm a new follower.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love it, Heather!! AND I love the price!! (And I loved Max today, too! Sorry about the "snake bite" on his forehead!! :/

    ReplyDelete
  7. That looks great! I want to update a floor lamp with a drum shade, but they are quite pricey, so I'm waiting for a deal like you got. Hope it's soon!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great find! The first light did look like a pizza parlor light, lol. The new one fits your decor so much better!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi! I'm just coming over from Kara's party and absolutely love this! I have been wanting a drum fixture for our playroom forever and now I'm going to have to keep my eye out for something like this instead! Thanks for sharing this and I'm now a new follower!
    Vanessa

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is absolutely fantastic. I love these shades too especially when they have a chandelier inside. Candice Olsen uses these all the time in her decorating! You did a great job and had a great score.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have a light similar to your pizza hut light, I can't wait to get rid of it either! Love the lamp shade, it seriously looks great - and you can't beat the price!

    ReplyDelete
  12. WOWser! Fabulous light at a fantastic price :D

    ReplyDelete
  13. Seen your comment at Vintage Revivals and when you said that you live in Cedar I was shocked! Finally! I have been wondering if there was anyone else that lived here in Cedar that blogs (and gets frustrated that we don't have all the cool stuff that SLC and even St. George has!)

    My blog isn't all set up yet but will be soon.... sorry, I just HAD to comment!

    I looked through all your posts and you are very creative! I love the kitchen remodel!

    Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you everyone for all of your kind comments, I appreciate all of the validation!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Heather! Just coming back by to say thank you so much for linking this up to Inspiration Friday this week. Hope to see much more of you in the future! :-)
    Vanessa

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your a very lucky girl! I just paid $85 for a similar fixture at Lowes!

    ReplyDelete
  17. That is indeed a very good deal for 7 bucks. Love it.
    Dannyelle at www.lifeisaparty.ca

    ReplyDelete
  18. That light looks very nice! You did a good job, I love good D.I. finds!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Are you kidding?! I'd LOVE to find a light like that! Wow, awesome job :)
    I love those drum shades too and am still waiting to find mine one day....!!

    Here is a crazy ceiling fan redo that I attempted to make into a drum-like ceiling fan. It reminded me of your post, but I'm totally loving your drum shade!!
    http://sixtieshome.blogspot.com/2011/01/i-just-did-something-amazing.html

    -Kellie

    ReplyDelete
  20. That light would be excellent at $105, but at $5 it's absolutely phenomenal! Great eye.

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a wonderful lamp! You were so lucky to find this drum chandelier and transform it so well.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi Heather, thanks for joining in on the party...I am glad you did. Have fun making some new friends. I am a new friend now as well, and hope you did the same. This party is weekly and You can join as long as you are under the criteria..which is blogging for 6 months or less, and/or less than 100 followers.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Better than fabulous! You make all of us non-sewers proud to be in your club! If you ever find another one, buy it, I totally want it!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. It looks great! Yes, Pizza Hut is exactly what it reminded me of! I found you through Debbiedoo's. I'm following you now. Come be my bloggy friend!

    Melanie
    www.youmadethat.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  25. I love drum shades too!! Fantasti job!!
    I'm here from Debbie's party!
    Good for you, joining so many parties! I have to get on that!!
    You rok!
    xDaniella

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hi, love your drumshade! Great job!Found you from debbie's linky party.

    Heather
    www.whatitsallabout.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  27. You really modernized your light fixture. Good job! Visiting from Debbies and have become your friend and follower. Hope you will visit soon!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Oh my goodness, you did this beauty with only 7$???? Grrrrrrreat job!

    I found your lovely bolg on Debiedoos Party and have become your follower! Drop by my blog anytime if you please! :)

    Have a great week!

    http://styleidoscope.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  29. That is so beautiful!
    Hugs, Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  30. It is stunning!!!

    For $7? You are my hero. Especially since you can't sew, freely admit it, and can still make something that is so absolutely amazing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Wow, that looks fantastic! Good for you. Smart and chic. Love it.

    xoxo,
    Ellen

    ReplyDelete
  32. That's definitely a WOW for a great transformation! Gotta love GW for the awesome treasures you can find there. I'm a new follower.
    CAS

    ReplyDelete
  33. Girl, this is incredible!! GREAT job! Wanna make me one now?! Ha ;)

    ReplyDelete
  34. Wow! What a great job you did. So creative!!
    ~Crystal

    ReplyDelete
  35. This rocked so much that I just had to feature it this week at my Hookin Up with HoH party!

    Stop by and grab a button if you'd like!

    ~Allison @ House of Hepworths

    ReplyDelete
  36. Wow I am really amazed! A great job! I love the light fixture, very designer lookin...

    xoxo
    Karena
    Art by Karena

    ReplyDelete
  37. This is stunning! So envious! What a great bargin!

    ReplyDelete
  38. You did a fantastic job on that - it looks totally professional! I need a 2nd dining room so I can make one..or how about just another house in general to play with! JenT

    ReplyDelete
  39. Such a great light fixture, I would LOVE something like that for my home.

    ReplyDelete
  40. Great job!!!! Perfect new light for your house!!!! Amazing what a creative mind can come up with!!!

    ReplyDelete
  41. Looooove this light. Why can't I find this at my Goodwill. Will keep looking in hopes of making my own drum pendant.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...